We all get that anxious rush when things are going downhill or differently than expected.
When deadlines are blown, finances behind and there are too many demands to sit tidily our Inbox. its a horrible feeling! Overwhelm undermines your true identity and steals your energy. You are more likely to underperform when overwhelmed, so try to neutralize it and you will recover more quickly.
Here are a additional suggestions that just might help get you back on your dime and breathing normally 😐
* Make Quiet Time. Take a couple minutes, or hours even, to physically walk away. Breathe in some clean air.
* Get a good nights sleep.
* Rethink your strategy. You may have set unreasonable expectations, or taken on too many tasks in relation to your present
* Learn to say No, nicely. Its one of the hardest things to do.
* Communicate with your peers, supervisors, direct reports, and explain where you are and why you are behind.
* Reformulate priorities and try to reset deadlines with doable objectives and expectations.
* Try to get consensus from your team on what is doable and the order in which things are effectively completed.
* Bring in additional resources to get the job done on time if necessary.
* Re-calendar and Block time to complete priority tasks.
* Set boundaries and limits on additional, or new responsibilities. Limit taking on new tasks until priorities are completed.
* Limit all outside distractions, including News feeds.
* Limit multitasking since statistics prove that multitasking dilutes your focus and is inefficient.
* Listen to your thoughts and your random musings.
* Commit to documenting your thoughts and feelings so you know which ones you really believe and you can identify when overwhelm lifts.
* Get your physical space as organized as you can so that you can easily locate tools and recognize a system of order, or disorder.
* Learn how to know and recognize a true emergency.
* Set milestones so you know when goals have been accomplished and what tasks remain outstanding.
* Remember to celebrate when you have made it through to the other side. You will!